Pages

1/1/09

cheers


Everyone say hello to 2009 and your anticipated/dreaded New Years resolutions. In years past I've written up glooorious lists of things that I'd like to work on in the new year. Overwhelmingly unattainable lists that are, as time goes on, guiltily shoved closer to the back of the drawer. Don't act like I'm the only one.

I have a terrible habit of picking at my hair {hold tight ... to a very small degree this does apply and comes full circle}. I used to say "Oh no no, it's fine. I just do that when I'm bored." But it has become very clear that yes, I do pick when I'm bored but also when I'm stressed, happy, sad, excited, anxious, or {insert any emotion here}. And now when I find myself picking all I can hear in my head is Marme scolding YOU'LL BE SORRY WHEN YOU'RE BALD. Marme, I really don't wanna be bald. And I really do need to stop picking at it if my hair is to ever be healthily long again. Which I do, with all my heart.

Which brings me to my point. I feel that in the past my resolution lists have been full of pretty decent things that I wanted to strive for. But it's become clear that a select few of those wants that show up on my list year after year have been upgraded to needs. Not just wants but actions I need to take in order to become the kind of person I hope to be, i.e. needing to not pick at my hair so it can be healthy and grow like I want it to. Otherwise these things are just going to keep showing up on my list every January 1st, only to be shoved to the back of the drawer over the course of the year. And I'm tired of letting that happen. Maybe I'll never quite get there, but it won't be for lack of really trying. So here I am: much smaller list, much bigger motivation. Looks like I'm finally understanding all this "resoluting" everyone keeps talking about.

And if all else fails, let's not forget: nines are really lucky numbers. So '09 can't be all that bad, right? And on a lighter note, if I could somehow advance to the expert level on Guitar Hero that would just be the cherry on top. It's my golden ticket to Cool Aunt Jessi. So here's to a 2009 full of dominating in Guitar Hero and not being bald.

CHEERS

3 comments:

VTS said...

Great perpective, Jess. Thanks for posting that. I really needed to read that. And I tell you what...I'll tackle you everytime I see you pick at your hair. How's that for some help? See ya!

Aly said...

That sounds very mature. Do you know what my new years resolutions are: 1 make it big in the stock market and I mean a gazillion dollars big, 2-look like cameron diaz. I bet you will have better luck!

Jess said...

Good idea, Aly. Think I'll add "look like Charlize Theron" to my list .... it's been a goal of mine for a long time now.

And Vanessa. Here's the thing: I caught myself picking my hair about 8 or 9 times during the course of writing this post. So basically what I'm saying is that if you tackle me every time I pick, I'm for sure going to die. Then again maybe that's the incentive I need. Do it.