Anyway. So there I was. Dragging my poor little potato chip-ice cream-gummy bear filled self down the pathway, hell-bent on getting my allotted mileage for the week. I tried really hard to distract myself so as to stop thinking about collapsing on the nearest grassy spot. I put on all my favorite songs … dreamt about camera lenses … planned out my dream house with pretty shutters and tulips in the front yard (and a hammock) …. but no luck. It was only after I started people watching that I forgot my gnarled stomach. Have you ever people watched at the parkway? Almost as good as the mall (although not nearly as good as the state fair). Pretty sure I saw it all. Examples:
- A man running barefoot. BAREFOOT! I’m told it’s all the rage now, but I’m just not on that bandwagon quite yet. And not to mention running barefoot in a public place? With shards of glass just waiting to git ya? No, but thanks anyway.
- A couple furiously making out on a blanket during their “picnic.”
- Rollerbladers! Each spring I say that this is going to be my rollerblading summer. Maybe it really will be this time.
- Some very unhappy looking runners. Which I suppose isn’t so amusing because that’s probably what I looked like as well.
- A sketchy group of kids huddled together down by the river. Nothing good ever happens with a sentence like that.
- WAAAY too much buttcrack for this time of year. Or ever. I swear it was attacking me from every direction.
- THE BIGGEST DOG OF MY LIFE. Seriously. Freaked me right out.
- All the tweens at the skate/bmx park trying to impress each other with their mad skills. And since when did 11 year olds start wearing skinny jeans? Is it cause of those Jonas boys?
- And. Saving the best for last. I saw a man, locked out of the parkway bathroom, franticly rush to a nearby NOT VERY TALL concrete barrier and do his business. Considering the height of the barrier, the absence of full trees, and the fact that the park was hoppin’ with families enjoying the spring weather … well, I got a kick out of it for sure. The frantic look on his face was pricess. And before you decide that I’m some sort of peeping pervball, I didn’t see a thing. I averted my eyes like any lady should when a stranger nearly pees his pants in front of her.
What’s that? You want another pic of cute Easton? Okay I suppose I could do that. For you.
All together now .... aaaahhhhh. Cute as ever. And holding on tight :)
4 comments:
You are so funny. What run are you trainning for? I'm doing the Salt Lake 1/2.
I decided to do Ogden this year. Last year didn't work out and I was super bummed about it so I'm excited for this time around. Congrats on doing the Salt Lake! It's a fun one. I'm not registered for it, but I'm thinking I might just do it unregistered. Yeah, I'll be one of THOSE people :) Is Bryce running it with you?
I have never dared run the parkway--I remember too many scary stories about it that freak me right out. I bet it is beautiful though. I am looking forward to that part of the marathon--not to mention it means I am almost done. :) I had a nice running experience that ended up with me puking down a storm drain in front of a cute little family. Note to self: no twizzlers and sunny D just before a run. I hope I see you at Ogden!
Thank you for the visual imagery. This post was delightful.
And what's with men relieving themselves in semi-public places? This month alone I saw 1 guy peeing on the side of the road in an industrial park in North Salt Lake. And then the very next day, a homeless guy (I'm assuming) peeing on the corner of a building across the street from the Gateway!
Post a Comment