Pages

10/15/07

ode to marme

I feel that where there's a birthday, there needs to be an ode. And today's ode is a very special one: an ode to Marme. For anyone who is confused, let me bring you up to speed: Marme is my mother. I've called her that ever since I read Little Women. I found it to be a cute little nickname/term of endearment and thought I'd give it a go. It stuck and now seems strange to call her anything but Marme. Anyway--back to the ode. Marme's oh so special day was October 14th and in honor of this, I find it necessarily to inform the world of how great Marme is. Below I've listed some of the highlights. I'll be adding things as I think of them, so who knows how long the list will get....

  • We both enjoy watching Friends. Despite the negative reviews it receives in the 4th Ward Relief Society.
  • Sully likes both of us equally; although I think she tries to pawn him off onto me anytime I spend the night.
  • Despite not being real, she sees Scooter as a part of the family. As he should be.
  • She continually humors me anytime I tell her I am going to legally give myself a middle name. I'll never do it; she knows it.
  • She hides my medicine in fruit snack boxes. Half eaten Carebear fruit snack boxes.
  • She makes fun of me. Which awards me full rights in returning the favor.
  • She drives an SUV. Cause cool moms drive SUV's.
  • I'm her favorite child. Or at least I like to think so.
  • She has a deep love in her heart for conjoined twins.
  • One might consider her the queen of text messaging. Believe me - this woman is good.
  • She takes "19" pictures for me. She knows the way straight to my heart...
  • Even with a full shopping list, she can make it in and out of Walmart in 20 minutes flat. On a Saturday.
  • She manages to close her eyes in nearly every picture taken of her. She has pretty much perfected it.
  • She made it through my Buffy phase like a real trooper.
  • No one does bed head quite like her. It's quite amazing, actually.
  • She humors me. More than she probably should.
  • She knows more about computers than the average person.
  • She enjoys certain dragon jokes just as much as I do. If not a little bit more ;)
  • Through continued hand slapping, she has reduced my horrible hair picking habit by 25%. This has also been accomplished through her threats of me going bald.
Basically all I'm saying is that hands down, my Marme is better than your mom. Don't challenge me on this cause you're bound to lose.
Happy Birthday, Marme!

5 comments:

Jen said...

I love the list....however....I do believe that i am her favorite child!!!! hehehehe
we missed you sat!!!

Anonymous said...

Alright, now I'm really upset. You all know that Curlie is the favorite. Okay, I'm glad we cleared that up.

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, I wish my mom was as cool as your mom.....

Jess said...

Well anonymous, sorry.

Hold up, though - are you by chance a conjoined twin? If so, we could possibly work some sort of deal to take you in. Marme would be tickled pink to have you. And to be quite honest, the chances of you taking the "favorite child" spot would be pretty high.

Jen said...

Jess we need to get a Halloween costume and go as conjoined twins!!!! Marme would LOVE IT!!